Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Opinion Editorial is good to go!

I have decided to totally go a different route for this paper than I was thinking. I was talking to one of my friends in class today when it came up that in high school, it was almost expected that we should know what we want to major in. When you think about it, the classes you take in high school in no way prepare you for what you think you want to do with your life. How can adults expect 17-18 year old students to know what they want to do?
In my paper I hope to include that maybe a helpful way to fix this problem, is somewhere in high school introduce students to different majors and job opportunities. After being here at college, I have already decided to change my major because I felt pressured to choose one so soon before I was even ready. So my argument is that college's such as BYU and its faculty should not expect students to know their major so soon when they get to college. 

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree! And the fact that BYU has their new policy that after certain amount of credits towards one major you cannot switch majors! Totally lame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! I definitely agree. I guess not exactly speaking from experience since I've had a major in mind, but if I didn't, I'd be in the same boat as everyone else! It's so hard to really know what you want, you see so many people go through classes and then realize that what they thought they wanted to do, they actually don't want to do it! (I hope that made sense). But, I agree, how can people seriously know what they want to learn, study, and do for the rest of their lives so early in life. Go for it!

    -mmg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think thats a really good idea! Personally, I've always know what I wanted to do.. but I know that I was the exception in high school. All of my friends had no idea what they wanted to major in and ended up just picking something random and changing it later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It's so hard to choose a major right after you're done with high school. The sad thing about it is if you choose your major later, you may end up having to stay in college longer; because you weren't able to plan out how many courses you should take to graduate in four-five years in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really good point. Honestly, when it came to the part where you had to pick a major or go undecided, I spent hours trying to find a potential job/major that interested me enough to put it down. It's so stressful and really, we have no idea whats out there. Good luck on your paper! Seems great so far!

    MEB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a good solution to this would be to better prepare us in High School so we can make informed decisions about our majors earlier on. The University has Major change restrictions to keep the students moving through. They already had to turn down a record number of freshman for admittance last year due to upperclassmen staying and adding minors. Keep that in mind for suggestions and counter arguments.

    -ER

    ReplyDelete